10.30.2007

That Holy Feeling 5

I've been reading a book by Beth Moore called Believing God. It's about believing God, not just passive believing in God. At one point she gave her readers this challenge:
  1. Say the Pledge of Faith as many times per day as you can.
  2. Record at least one Godstop per day (Godstops are instances where you see God working in or around your life).
  3. Give up something for a set amount of time to further your personal sanctification toward God.
The first two were relatively easy. The last one... not so. I like everything in my life and I don't want to give any of it up!! Except for... these 50 pounds or so. Hmm... so, after some prayer I decided that for 40 days (since some significant stuff was accomplished in 40 days in the Bible) I would give up junk food, including but not limited to:
  • ALL fast food
  • Cookies, cake, pie
  • White breads
  • Crackers, tortillas, etc. (whole wheat is ok)
  • Ice cream
  • Excessive amounts of peanut butter
  • Chocolate
I'm not doing this to put myself on a diet per se, but because it is something I have struggled with for a long time and I think it may be hindering my walk with God. How can you develop a friendship with someone if you're constantly thinking, talking and worrying about food and fat? Wish me luck, y'all. Taco Bell is sounding soooo good right now.....

No comments: